Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Forgotten Key to Succss

When I was a senior in high school, I occasionally substitute-taught a Sunday School class for five-year-old boys. One Sunday, I was teaching twenty very active boys - do you know any that age who aren't? - a lesson on the Apostle Peter.

During a little review I asked, "Who in the class would like to tell me who Peter was?" Dead silence. Not one hand went up. Then I said, "We've talked about this for twenty minutes, so surely someone knows the answer." With that a little boy with red hair said, "I t'ink Pet'a was a wabbit." It was an unforgettable moment.

We all know kids aren't the greatest listeners in the world, but that changes as we grow older and wiser, right? For many, I don't think so.

Without question, the art of listening is one of the most underestimated keys to success. I want you to stop and think about the friends you really enjoy being with, the bosses you've enjoyed working for, and I'd be willing to bet they all have one thing in common...they are good listeners.

A few years ago a friend called. He was distraught. He was going through some difficult times in his life, and was being forced to make some tough choices. We agreed to meet at a restaurant for lunch. We sat for over three hours, and he poured his heart out. Every fifteen minutes or so I'd ask a question and he would respond. At the end of his conversation, I could see the twinkle in his eyes, and the bounce was back in his step. He thanked me over and over again for sharing my advice. But you know what...I really offered no advice. In the three hours that we met, I'd estimate that he spoke for two hours and fifty-five minutes. But by encouraging him to talk through his stressful situation, he was able to reach his own conclusions. The next day, he called and said, "Mac, I just figured out why I like you so much - when I'm with you, I feel good about me."

We all want to be heard. We all want to feel what we have to say is important, and you can convey no greater honor than to sincerely listen to what someone has to say.

Mac Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment